Oil Heat

Author Topic: Oil Heat  (Read 29466 times)

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« on: February 23, 2007, 05:42:24 PM »
I am planning on oil heat for the Longez.  I plan to put the oil cooler in the hell hole.  Does anyone have an idea for a blower motor, besides Waiter's 1982 rabbit blower motor.  Waiter's 10 amp circuit braker seems a bit much for this installation.  I'm looking for a motor that will be do the job,but with minimum power requirements.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:24 AM »
Hey,

Glennbob here.  I'm planning oil heat too.  I plan to put the second oil cooler under the thigh support for the rear passenger, although the hell hole does seem like a viable option.  I don't think you need a 10 amp breaker for the blower though.  If you can find out how many watts a given blower fan draws, you can more accurately acertain the proper amperage draw. Go to :  http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw.html   This link will give you the formula.  You just plug in the numbers and it will give you the correct amperage draw. 10 amps seems a little excessive to me, although I'm just shooting from the hip. I haven't actually looked at this.  One way to tell is to peruse the junk yard and look at the fuse panels on different cars.  The fuse panel usually lists the amperage for the heater blower motor.  

Also, be sure to close every possible nook and cranny that leaks in the front of the plane, especially where the elelvator control tubes enter the fuselage.  This will go far to keeping you warm.    

Warm regards,  Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Waiter

• View Profile
    • http://www.iflyez.com
Oil Heat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 11:07:58 AM »
With my mods, I'm also going to put my heater in the rear seat thigh support.  Not exactly sure how, but thats my plan!

As for electrons.

Just because theres a 10 amp breaker, doesn't mean the device is drawing 9.999 amps.   A 7.5 amp breaker would probably be OK, however, I think a 5 amp breaker would be prone to false tripping (the blower draws about 5 amps, depending on speed and load).  

The formula for Current (I) is;

I = E/R

I=Current,  E=Voltage,  R=Resistance

Keep in mind that this is a static formula and doesn't take into motor load and motor speed.

Remember, The breaker isn't protecting the device, its protecting the wiring. The wiring is capable of safely supporting 10 amps (probably more like 20amps, depending on distance).

I also figure in what breakers I have on hand. In the above example, I most likely had a hand full of 10 amp breakers.  IF I would have had a hand full of 7.5 amps breakers, I probably would have used one of them.

When I select a breaker size, I first determine the maximum load that will be placed on the circuit. If its small i.e less than 10 amps, I generally double the wire size required and the breaker size.  As the load increases, I'll generally do a factor of 1/2, again, make sure the breaker pops before the wiring deteriorates.

Waiter
LongEZ-RG   >>    N961EZ
O-320 160hp  >>    MT Constant Speed Prop
F-16 Performance, On a Piper Cub Budget
www.iflyez.com

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I thought that sometime in the past someone mentioned a fan that would fit in the hell hole  and was pretty efficent.

I will take a look at the thigh support area, however it appears I have more room in the hell hole.

I will keep looking
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline Charles Davis

• View Profile
    • http://www.sandiegocadcam.com
heat
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:23:44 PM »
You might want to use a 3" Turbo Bilge Blower from West Marine.

They weigh almost nothing, draw little amps. 12v.

Go to www.westmarine.com and search for Blower, Turbo Bilge 3IN.

Manufacturer is Attwood.  Mfg Part #1733-4, West Marine PN: 594002

Cost is about $34.00

Suggest you set this up to blow, not suck the air so the blower stays cool.
Charles Davis
Louisville, KY

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »
Thanks Charlie.  I ordered one.  I will run some tests on it before I do the installation.  I will let everyone know how it works.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline GlennBob

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:16:55 AM »
Don,

Let me know how you come out with that blower motor.  I'd be interested to see how much cfm it has and if the speed can be varied.

Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Charles Davis

• View Profile
    • http://www.sandiegocadcam.com
Attwood Turbo Specs
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:37:02 AM »
Here are the specs:

Patented in-line design – provides ventilation for engine compartments, galleys, bilges, and heads. Mounting feet allow vertical or horizontal installation in confined spaces. Install with #10 fasteners. Individual carton includes 2 tie straps. All are CE certified. 16-gauge tinned and caulked copper wire leads with optional MP1 molded rubber connectors. New improved 3" design includes:

* 145 CFM Open Flow
    * 100 CFM In System Flow
    * 2.7 Amps
    * 3" hose (I.D.)
    * Nickel-plated motor can for corrosion resistance
    * Stiffening ribs to reduce housing distortion
    * Motor cap to seal wires and motor for water resistance

Max Dimensions: 5.5L x 5.063W x 3.625H
Charles Davis
Louisville, KY

Offline Waiter

• View Profile
    • http://www.iflyez.com
Oil Heat
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
I looked at these, My question would be, can they provide enough pressure and volumn to push the air through a heat exchanger. I guess at $33, its cheap enough to do a couple experiments.

Waiter
LongEZ-RG   >>    N961EZ
O-320 160hp  >>    MT Constant Speed Prop
F-16 Performance, On a Piper Cub Budget
www.iflyez.com

Offline GlennBob

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 01:43:28 AM »
Waiter,   If the fan doesn't work for the heat application, . . . shoot . . .you could always use it on my sailboat ! ! !    =   )

Glennbob

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
I recieved the 3" blower motor.  It is well built, however I decided that 145 CFM open system may not be enough.  I have ordered a 4" blower that is rated at 250 CFM open system.  I will provide an update when I compare the two in a mocked-up closed system
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 11:08:48 PM »
I have mocked up the oil heat system for the hell-hole installation using a Atwood turbo 3000 marine blower.  Based on the mockup I am convinced it will provide sufficent air movement and heat.  Anyone who would like pictures of the system mockup contact me at Vette164@msn.com.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil heat
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:19:56 PM »
The pictures are on my website under miscellaneous.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline Lowlevldevl

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 07:06:25 AM »
Hi Don,
Thanks for sending the pics. Your mock-up looks pretty good to me.
Something that isn't explained though. How do you turn this system on and off. I live in the tropics and when I need extra oil cooling the cockpit is already quite warm. If a system like this was always on it would be unbearably hot. Is there some way to dump the heated air overboard? I think Waiters nose mounted system had this feature.
Perhaps this system is simply not suitable for my environment.  :(  
Cheers,
Don

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil heat
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:46:58 PM »
This system does not have an overboard dump designed in.  It could be motified to accommadate this.
WWW.Longez209.com