Oil Heat

Author Topic: Oil Heat  (Read 29466 times)

Offline Charles Davis

• View Profile
    • http://www.sandiegocadcam.com
oil heat
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »
Our thought is to have two oil coolers.  

The first would provide heat in the cockpit when the fan is running.  When the blower is off, no heat is dumped into the cockpit.

The second oil cooler is located aft of the firewall.

There is no fresh air intake for the cabin heat oil cooler.  It recirculates air in the cockpit.
Charles Davis
Louisville, KY

Offline Lowlevldevl

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »
I can see the merit in that. Hot oil will still be circulating through the cooler will it not and will therefore be putting off a lot of radiant heat?

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 09:43:29 PM »
Guys... I was thinking about you when I was driving... you do realize that it the drivers feet that are going to freeze right...? Not sure that a Hell Hole installation is going to keep your toes on your feet...

I have flown the west at 10,000+ in February and my body was fine...My sweet heart in back was asleep and groovey in the back...but my feet were blocks-o-ice...okay... I was dressed in ski clothes.

Issue happily solved with electric socks...motorcycle quality, wired in on a switch...expandable too with pants, jackets, gloves etc.... I am so happy to have this solved... Thinking about putting a 12 volt socket for the GIB so that there would be the option of a 12 volt electric blanket to keep her really happy.

Good luck... wishing you the best....

Dave
408 EZ Long EZ 0235-L2C / Great American 62X62 / IFR / GU canard

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
oil heat
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 11:08:19 PM »
I can always buy the electric socks.  Half the fun is experimenting with this stuff.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline Charles Davis

• View Profile
keeping feet warm
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 09:46:40 AM »
Our idea is to have the Blower push the hot air through scat tubing.  There will be one exit near the passengers feet.  The other will exitin in the nose near the pilots feet.
Charles Davis
Louisville, KY

Offline Dave in Eugene

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
sounds good.

Dave
408 EZ Long EZ 0235-L2C / Great American 62X62 / IFR / GU canard

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 12:09:38 AM »
Don,

I see the way you have your oil cooler mounted in the hell hole.  A couple of questions / problems.  I have my fuel line going through the middle. No problem, ..I can easily move that.  However, . . my largest concern is moving air into the intake fan from the cabin, . .and moving the heated air to the cabin.  

Intake :  If you draw from the hole behind the rear cushion,  won't there be a lot of resistance to air flow ?  Where to draw cool (cabin) air from.  

Exhaust :  The small holes (4) in the rear bulkhead are already quite full of hoses and wires etc.  Is there enough room to run two scat hoses out ?  Do you plan to cut some holes in the rear bulkhead ?

I'm at this point now. Gotta get heat in there.  (Next job to tackle )

Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
Oil heat
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »
Glennbob
I know it is hard to see on by website, but the intake will be just behind the hole in the reaseat.  I will draw air from the radiate heated air in the hellhole and l leave some openings through the rear seat hidden by the armrests, which will recirculate the cabin air.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
oil heat
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 10:46:27 PM »
Glennbob,
I put a better picture on my website under miscellaneous showing the blower location.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline GlennBob

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »
Don,

I think your system is going to work just fine ! !   I plan on putting a  " T " in the return line from the cockpit heat oil cooler and a valve simular to the fuel select valve on the supply side of the cockpit oil cooler.  That way, I can turn off the oil flow in the summer so the GIB won't get so hot and turn it on in the winter when I need it.  If my oil temps are too low in the winter,  I'll close off the engine oil cooler with a baffle.

I have decided to sacrifice a little rear pass. floor space and am mounting my second oil cooler and fan in front of the rear thigh support.  I'm blowing air rearward into the thigh support and it circulates out forward on the other side through the second oil cooler.  I have yet to build the shroud for transfer to scat to the pilot feet but I'm plannin' on toasty toes ! !   I got a real shock today.  Just " stopped in " to a boat repair shop and they had a 4" Attwood blower SITTING ON THE SHELF  ! !  I was happy as a clam and bought it and am now fabricating it in ! !

No time tonight, but I'll send an email to anyone who'd like to see pics of my arrangement.  Just drop me an email ! !

Glennbob
N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Charles Davis

• View Profile
oil heat
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
Interesting idea about a valve to shut off the oil heat in summer.

Can we kick that idea around?

On the plus side, it seems desireable to be able to shut off oil heat in the summer.

But, in the summer at 10,000 ft, it can still get quite cold.

Adding a valve and hose to circumvent the cabin oil heat adds more failure points in the system.

What I was thinking was to highly insulate the cabin oil cooler.  Run the oil heat through that cooler first.  

If the fan isn't running, there should be no air moving accross this cooler.  The inside of this box would get hot (let's say, as hot as the engine oil) but hopefully little/none would be felt by the passenger.

That is my biggest concern.  Can I make a box that will tolerate and contain the heat when the fan is off.

Great thread: What is your opinion on these issues?
Charles Davis
Louisville, KY

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
oil heat
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 07:26:30 PM »
I hadn't considered insulating the area.  Possibly directing outside air through the Hellhole during the summer might be less complicated and accomplish the same thing.  I am not sure the GIB would feel the heat since the foam and glass back seat plus padding would be a lot of insullation.
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline GlennBob

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 12:33:24 AM »
Gentlemen,

I realize an oil valve might be more failure points, but if it's mounted correctly, . .I don't think it'd be too great a concern.  I plan on mounting the valve in the hell hole.  That way,  if it gets too cold in the summer,  the GIB could still access the valve and turn on the heat.  

Even though well insulated and with no air movement,  my guess is that it might still get uncomfortably warm for the GIB during the summer.  Remember the clear canopy with the sun beating on you and then the 200 degree oil in the cooler.

If you'd like pics of my set - up,  send me an email.

Glennbob.

P.S.  I don't have the oil lines or valve set up yet.

Offline EZRider

• View Profile
oil heat
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »
Glennbob
I would like to have pictures but don't have your email address
WWW.Longez209.com

Offline GlennBob

• View Profile
Oil Heat
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 12:06:42 AM »
Don,

My email address is :  ezskyboy@hughes.net  

Went to the junk yard today to get a fan switch for my heater blower motor.  I specified that I wanted a rotating,  not sliding switch with the first position being " off ".   That took a little looking.  (Many are sliders.)

Found the switch off a late model Corsica or some such.  As I was walking back,  I noticed there were a lot of wires out of it.  Seven to be exact.  The dude at the yard said, " yeah,  it's just a switch.  You need resistors to make the different speeds. "  This switch had 5 speeds and 6 positions. When we got back to the office, he handed me a small panel about the size of a small matchbox that had some pretty massive coil resistors.  " This is what you'll need too "  he said.  I put the VOM to it and found 3 different ohm levels.    With the first being " off " and the last being no resistance, this gives me 5 different speed settings on the switch. The switch has 6 so I'll just make the last two the same.   I tried it with the blower and it works great. But the resistor block gets a little warm.

I'm planning to mount it somewhere in the rollover structure.   I'll send you the pics as soon as you send me an email asking for them.

Glennbob