Varieze Wing Attach

Author Topic: Varieze Wing Attach  (Read 26919 times)

Offline Super-EZE

• View Profile
    • Raptor Air Works
Re: Varieze Wing Attach
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
Can new wing attach hardware be purchased new these days?

Offline flyoz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 01:40:34 AM »
Looking at the Wing attach
Why are the lower taper pins threaded ? Just for ease of assembly ?
The nut is just for safety ? How much torque do they need ?
Looks like it could lead to a possible mistake when attaching ie too much load on the bolt  , and no load on nut ?
I assume the taper pin thread was designed for that .
I have made drawings from the printed plans but have no definative dimensions - were any given out for the builder to use or was it required to buy them from Brock  ?
Lots of questions i suppose
Flyoz

Offline Linda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
Look at the Vari-EZE plans.

Offline Joe Person

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »
OK, I'll bite.

Looking at the Wing attach why are the lower taper pins threaded ? Just for ease of assembly ?

The pins are tapered so as to achieve as much overall contact area bwteen the pins and the stack-up of aluminum that comprises a fitting assembly as possible.  Pin fit in the bores is achieved by careful machining, followed by lapping the pins into the bores.  The taper helps keep the pins seated in the bores as well.

The nut is just for safety ? How much torque do they need ?

The extra nut is for safety.  Torque is 36 inch-pounds (that is all you need).  I use 40 inch pounds on mine.  It is nor necessary, nor desirable, to go beyond this torque range.  This torque range ensures that the through-bolt (14-28 SAE Grade 8, and yes, it is a Grade 8 that was supplied by Ken Brock, as it has longer threads than an AN bolt) never has any loads carried by it, beyond the preload that the torque range entails.

Looks like it could lead to a possible mistake when attaching ie too much load on the bolt  , and no load on nut ?

Sure it could, but when installing something as critical as a wing attach fastener, aren't you going to be very careful & methodical anyawy?  You could get away with having the lower pins unthreaded (several have done this), and rely in a locknut only, but the combination, per-plans works very well, properly installed.

I assume the taper pin thread was designed for that .

I have made drawings from the printed plans but have no definative dimensions - were any given out for the builder to use or was it required to buy them from Brock  ?

The plans give sufficinet information for fabrication - 10-degree taper (inclusive) on the pins/bores, 2024-T3 bare for the aluminum parts, 4130 Steel, heatreated to 125 KSI, and such.  Several builders have made their own fitting assemblies over the years - it can be done.

Joe Person
VariEze N79JN
Cozy #879 Under Construction
EAA Tech Counselor 4418
Bothell, WA (KPAE)

Offline flyoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 03:02:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice

The brackets themselves are not unduly complicated but attention to detail like lapping the taper pins for good fit will be important

Flyoz

Offline go ez

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
If the bottom pins are not threaded it makes it more difficult to get the taper pins out.

Or at least an alternative method to that advised by Rutan is required.

His method is : after removing the lock nut, loosen the bolt a few turns , 'tap' its head gently to pop the bottom taper pin out  , then use a wood dowel from below  to pop the top one out.

I know a few don't like this method as it shocks the aluminium plates etc  & have made up a special tool to pull each pin out gently but if you are gentle with the 'tap', I'd trust Bert's construction & methods. :)
Regards
Steve

Offline farnswow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
I am purchasing a lathe mill with 4 axis CNC capability and will be building parts including the wing attach. When do you need them ?

Windy
(860) 305-7392