Repair lonez gear bow

Author Topic: Repair lonez gear bow  (Read 5687 times)

Offline atfloyd

• View Profile
Repair lonez gear bow
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
Left gear sheared 6" above wheel attach point.  Does anyone have any experience or insite on a repair for this.  I think I have heard of someone with this similar issue before but can't seem to find any info.  any help would be appreciated.

Offline ezeguy440ez

• View Profile
Re: Repair lonez gear bow
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:40:31 AM »
Bill James I think has an article on it he is the guy that writes the cronicles on this web site the repair maybe even listed on the site.

Offline Drew

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~swensonaw/
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »
kind of curious---do you have heat shields blocking the radient heat from the brake disk?  Also, do you have wheelpants?  If you have wheelpants, are they vented?
Drew Swenson
Cozy N171ML

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »
Repair note is August 2008; access by going to my profile and previous posts. Let me know if you cant get to it.
You basically taper the existing strut to a V and lay on new LongEZ UNI. You do one side at a time, shaping with peelply. Not that difficult and should be as strong as new. I think heat shields have been a significant benefit on my plane. Heat was a problem before my wheelpants were opened at the back.  I think that also gives me another 5 knots  :)
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers