IFR Long EZ wanted!

Author Topic: IFR Long EZ wanted!  (Read 8389 times)

Offline jetdude007

• View Profile
IFR Long EZ wanted!
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »
I live in Vista (North County San Diego) and I want to buy a flying IFR long ez. I currently own a '68 PA 28 140 but have outgrown it. I am new to homebuilt aircraft and want to find out as much as I can about them before I take the plunge. What are some of the common problems people have? Is it hard to get support for Long ez maintenance and parts? I'm 5'11 and 190lbs, will I be too big to be comfortable? What about 2 peolple, is there room for some luggage? There is a long ez for sale in SD (N93DJ) does anyone know anything about it? I'm sure it's a great airplane, but I know nothing about building or maintaining a Long ez. Can they be safely parked outside at a tiedown for years without serious weather damage? Thanks for all your help! I look forward to being a Long ez driver! Does anyone want to trade a IFR Long ez for a great little IFR Cherokee? :)

Offline Stuart

• View Profile
Re: IFR Long EZ wanted!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:42:40 PM »
Never be sure any plane is a great plane that you know nothing about, if there are 1000 Long EZ's out there, then they were all produced by 1000 different manufactures. THe Long is a great Aircraft, but you need to be smart about what you are looking for.... Baggage pods are available to increase your available luggage space.

Stuart

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
Fly your spam can to Lone Pine October 16, 17, 18 to meet some canard folks and do some of the due diligence that will help you make the right decisions.  Join the CSA and get a few back issues right away.  And check out canardfinders.com

Offline JLKnolla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:58:16 AM »
Jetdude, David Orr (aka 'Beagle') has a line on most projects and planes for sale as well as being able to suggest experienced guys for pre-buy inspections, training, etc.

You can reach him at canardfinder@att.net - he is good people and charges a modest finders fee - he is a great resource and has access to copious amounts of history and information as well as having several thousand hours in type - if you are seruous about any canard type I would recommend talking to David and having him help you find and inspect a good plane.
COMM-Instr ASEL, Airplane Nut, Husband, Father

Offline Ekinodum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »
Fly your spam can to Lone Pine October 16, 17, 18 to meet some canard folks and do some of the due diligence that will help you make the right decisions.  Join the CSA and get a few back issues right away.  And check out canardfinders.com

Hello, I am also interested in doing some due diligence on a (non-IFR) Long-EZ and would love to meet some canard people, but I have no plane; spam or otherwise. Are automobiles allowed? If I drive to Lone Pine, will I be stranded behind a razor wire-covered electric fence wistfully looking at the tarmac?

Offline flyingwaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
No razor wire, just a bunch of friendly Canardians and one "Big Bird" usually.....

Offline admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »
I think the general consensus is that it's possible to fly IFR in a Long-EZ but
it's not really a great platform for doing that. An auto-pilot is almost mandatory and the
lack of space is a big issue.