Should I pursue a pilot's license?

Author Topic: Should I pursue a pilot's license?  (Read 17976 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• View Profile
    • Cozy MK-IV, plans # 1477
Re: Should I pursue a pilot's license?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:06 PM »
I live about 5 miles from Crystal Airport. I was going to call Thunder Bird Aviation.
Just show at their door, reservations not required :)

There are places I can't go right? People will not call security on the guy wandering around the field?
Many places you can't walk/drive to. Taxiways and runways are but two. The apron (gas pump and tie-down area) will raise a huge flag if it's obvious you aren't a pilot/passenger. This is generally quite obvious ;) Tip: treat any/all planes like a Pit Bull. Treat the concrete/asphalt areas like a kennel of Pit Bulls. Do not approach, do not touch, unless the owner is there. And then touch only if the owner says its OK to do so.

Most airports, the ones close to larger cities anyway, are fenced in. The only entrance is through a key-code gate to the hanger area(s), or by entering the FBO on foot. Longmont (KLMO) is fenced (a high security 3' chain link) with three gates (usually wide open during daylight hours), or you can get in by walking into the FBO and then onto the apron.

I would like to fly into Oshkosh this year...
So would I, pick me up on your way ;)

Rick
Cozy MK-IV, plans #1477. 90% done, 70% to go!
Currently working on the canopy, side windows just installed.
My hobby at: http://zggtr.org My plane at: http://cozy.zggtr.org/

Offline AMC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
I am kind of thinking of joining this flying club to get my license. It is at the airport by my house.

http://gopherflyingclub.com/publisher/pages/gopherflyingclub.com/Home/how_to_join

Any answers to my other post about aircraft ownership?

There is a Varieze on Barnstormers for $16,500.

Offline Rick Hall

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:03 AM »
I am kind of thinking of joining this flying club to get my license. It is at the airport by my house.

If it were me, I'd join. But it's not me ;) Very nice price on hourly rental, but you are responsible for fuel ("dry" vs "wet"). I think it's fair to say figure 8 gallons an hour, at $6 a gallon... The benefit to this club/membership is you should have easy access to the instructors. And a plane 'at the ready' for whenever you want to fly someplace.

There is a Varieze on Barnstormers for $16,500.

Comment, and question. What is your mission, what type of flying do you plan on doing? Distance? Aerobatic? With passengers? With passengers and luggage? Buzzing over to St. Cloud for Lutefisk on Christmas day? Veri-Eze's are very nice long distance [solo] airplanes, but luggage space is often said to be a toothbrush in a zip-lock baggie.

Rick

Offline AMC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »
I think my mission is to try to fly economically, so I can log lots of hours. I like the efficiency and distance of a Variez but I would like to have luggage....a passenger would be nice.

Stop up if you ever fly into Minneapolis.

Offline Bruce Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
Note that the Varieze on Barnstormers has VERY LITTLE information.  You need to get a lot more
before you even consider it.   How much does it weigh empty?  When was the engine last run?   
How often?  How many total hours on the engine?  How many since major overhaul? 
ETC. ETC. ETC.   The Varieze is faster and more economical than other canards, but has
little space for anything except you and possibly a passenger.   The real killer (literally) is
assuming that you can carry X pounds of pilot, gas, passenger, 6 cans of beer, etc.   Some
are very light empty but poor construction can make an airplane that is essentially a single
person Varieze.  What do you weigh?   I know a pilot/builder that has a wonderfully built
Varieze BUT he needs to lose 50 pounds to fit in it. 

In any case NEVER buy any canard until you have an EXPERT canard builder check it out. 
There are some dogs (too heavy, dangerous shortcuts or changes in the construction, poor
workmanship) out there.   

Bruce Hughes
owner of an overweight Longeze   :(
Yelm, WA
Longeze N199BH
retired
taught at Maui Community College

Offline Rick Hall

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
A little tidbit.
I've flown back seat in a local VeriEze a couple of times. Seven gallons in each wing tank, the header tank is 80% full, and perhaps 320lbs of Pilot/PAX, no baggage. Any more weight and it's over gross he says. 14 gallons will get you a fair distance down the road though. When the pilot flies to OSH with his wife, they have to mail their clothes, tent, bags, ... Note his craft may be a bit heavy, and it has an O-230 pushing it.

... Stop up if you ever fly into Minneapolis.

Will do, maybe next year when I get my tub in the air? I've some family near KFCM, two birds one stone.

Rick

Offline AMC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »

Will do, maybe next year when I get my tub in the air? I've some family near KFCM, two birds one stone.

Rick

[/quote]

I am about 10 miles from KFCM. Come in the winter and you can take out the snowmobiles! Or in summer the AMX.

Can a Long Ez land on grass fields? Do they employ flaps?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:05:03 PM by AMC »

Offline GlennBob

• Eph 2 : 8 & 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 11:47:16 PM »
AMC

No  landing on grass strips for the long ez.  Wheels are too small.  Damage will occur. 

Nay on the flaps too / either.   There is a belly speed brake about the size of a pizza box.  And the rudders can both be deployed simultaneously. (outboard on both sides).  So . .all three of these together slow you down about as much as stickin' your hand out the car window ! !   =  ).   These are speedy little devils ! !

Glennbob

N600EZ  O-320-E2A,  Hertzler prop, Trio AP, Narco HSI, Custom headers, Oil heat.

Offline Rick Hall

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
I am about 10 miles from KFCM. Come in the winter and you can take out the snowmobiles! Or in summer the AMX.
Better yet, a flight. ;)

Can a Long Ez land on grass fields? Do they employ flaps?

They can land in a boulder field, but won't get off the ground again unless the T/O surface is paved. There have been a few exceptions to this. If grass, unless the grass is uber smooth, it'll really hammer the nose gear. Manual crank nose gear may retract too, and strip the gear teeth. This is not cool either. Landing on packed dirt is OK, but you're prop will really get chewed up from all the grit tossed up by the front wheel [and sucked into the big fan]. Remember the prop is in the back. Stick to paved, and make sure the pavement is fairly long. :)

No flaps, but a belly mounted speed brake usually deployed on base/final like GlenBob sez.

Rick

Offline AMC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
I am trying to figure out just how expensive aircraft ownership really is.

How much is an annual certification? How much are enigine overhauls?

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
The cost is up to you. While building I used to come home from the Eze flyins enthused from the powerful "seeing is believing" event, but also very aware that my airplane had a very specific and different mission than some, personal therapy. Oh yeah, and personal expression. And that it would not be decked out or as impressive as many are. It helped that i readily accepted that we all have different passions involved here.
The thing that drew me to the canard type airframe is the same thing that is so gratifying now, after being hooked for 35 years and flying for 15 years - the airframe provides a spectacular capability for you to go many directions ...to do what you want.
While responding to your pilot's license theme, I am thinking of the other current thread on the staying power of the canard types. I go through periodic cycles where I try to imagine myself into other types of aircraft, to please someone else or gain a greater capability. After allowing myself enough room to get hooked on another, I easily return to the Eze for the basics, therapy and self expression.  
My thoughts on building and owning and what type can simply be put - the plane waited for me. Spending on the plane was simple. I had very little flexibility. When i could buy more stuff, like glass or epoxy, i did. When i didn't, i didn't  :)    I now realize that the final cost didn't matter.  As with most important things  :)
I have it pretty good with a 1997 truck, a 1997 Mustang, a 1997 roadster with no windows or spare, and a 1997 airplane. After flying the Eze with no electrical system for several years, i put in the first gizmo, an alternator. Now a dozen years later I am putting the second gizmo in the plane, an autopilot. Recently i realized that i probably could have done everything that i have done without the alternator...
There are many things i dont want on the plane. Four notebooks full. Five now actually. A ton of weight was saved by not using 99% of my ideas, literally.
To get to something useful for you, I am very glad that i got desperate enough one day to get started building. I got a lot happier by just unloading the stack of dusty boxes into my garage. I was an airplane owner. A canard airplane. Am glad i built, but also know of very happy buyers.
I appreciate the planning and thought that many put into this. But for me, everything changed once i got started. Much of my planning changed. This or that part would become available, and i would be able to get it because i was in the mix and someone told me about it. It may be interesting to put our thoughts into two piles, and see how full the "can't" pile is. The basic airframe is known. How much time you put into glitzing it up is up to you. At first flight my plane had nothing on it that wasn't needed for flight. Many things were accompished during the 40 hour restricted period, which to my surprise and chagrin took 3 months instead of 4 days  :)
The past few months have been busy, so, much of my activity on the plane is after hours, often pulling it out in the spotligh for a startup, maybe to check for leaks after the carb rebuild. It is frustrating when we can't fly as often as we want. But it is especially gratifying being able to just go out there and sit and look at the plane for a few minutes. Knowing it is ready to go when we are. A while back i flew 31 flights in 31 days. Good thing i had somehow gotten started way back there  :)

Bill James
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:04:28 PM by Bill James »
Bill James, Fort Worth VariEze N95BJ
Downdraft Plenums, QuickCowls
There was supposed to be anhedral?
ATP, Society of Flight Test Engineers

Offline AMC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
I have it pretty good with a 1997 truck, a 1997 Mustang, a 1997 roadster with no windows or spare, and a 1997 airplane. Bill James

Sounds like 1997 was a big year for you.

How much piloting experience did you have before you flew your Variez? Was it easy to learn to fly? What is the useful payload on it? Max Cruze speed?

How much is your annual?

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
How much is the annual?
I meant to also include that in the "doesn't matter" category  :)
Obvious repair/replacement is done day to day, and dollar to dollar. Besides the ongoing maintainance, in February I  do the complete annual inspection checklist,  compiled from several lists that others suggested (thanks guys), with a couple of things added from my notebooks. I usually get an A&P to do something like adjust the first set of valves, or set the timing, for that valuable additional set of eyeballs. To answer your question, I don’t know. It really doesn’t matter. So far, knock on wood longerons, I haven’t gone into debt building or flying. I did work two jobs while trying to get the engine. Scott Carter of Extra Eze fame held it for me for 18 months.
Several years ago while I was remounting the gear with the plane upside down, my dad got ill (6 hours away) and it took a couple of years to get it back in  the air. I will say that once you are back in the saddle, those lost days disappear. Especially if what took you away was more important. Some things that take me away aren’t as important. That’s when the shorter sleep cycles and midnight oil come in. Interestingly, while I was building I was self employed. The busier I was with work, the better the building went. Probably something to do with money. And maybe that I was in a more productive temperament all around. When work was slow it was harder to get revved up to go out in the garage.
Piloting experience?
Doesn’t matter. Surprise! Sure, the more the better, maybe. You still have to adjust to a cockpit like no other. When I moved my plane from the garage to the airport, a friend that I had been helping with his new-to-him VariEze (N2NP) stopped in and dropped the keys in my hand. I flew it for three months while getting my plane ready for first flight. I had flown in the back of several Ezes, but then I flew ten flights in the front seat with an instructor in back.  On the first flight I was totally uncomfortable. Felt like I was landing 5 feet below ground level. That night I reflew every landing attempt in my sleep. Several times. The next flight was great. And since. I suggest that in prep for the first front seat flight that you sit in the plane with the extended nose wheel on a paint can or such. With the canopy closed imprint that attitude and view down a long taxiway or road. That is your (new) sight picture for takeoff and landing attitude. Once you are flying, the pilot stuff will come. It is good to remember that experience is the best teacher, especially when it is someone else’s experience. A lot of valuable pilot knowledge is picked up in the coffee break at a flight school, or at midnight smoking a cigar in the bar in Jackpot or sitting outside on the stone fence at Rough River.
If I say it quickly… I don’t know any normal person that couldn’t build or fly an Eze. I expect to be roundly corrected here, but that’s my opinion. Maybe I just don’t know the right people.
Useful load. That friend that bought VariEze N2NP was an engineer but knew little about the canards. I’m so glad. I was well into building mine and was able to help him. One day on the spur of the moment we decided to go the KC-GIG (Terr Yake's Kansas City Grazin in the Grass). The day before leaving we filled her up and both got in to see what it was like to fly around the pattern. Nothing to it. As we planned, it was cool, the runway was 6000 feet long at 700 agl. All good. The next day we arrived with unplanned matching luggage - a baggie with a toothbrush and pair of Skivvies. We saddled up and headed out, ready to fly the four hours non-stop. Less than two hours later we were ready for a pit stop. We landed, stretched, figured the fuel needed, and took off without refueling. In other words, we got smarter. We did not need to take off with full fuel. We got smarter on several things that weekend. Unfortunately, one lesson, not ours thank goodness, was the first step in any emergency- fly the airplane.
Payload and Max Cruise Speed?
OK, I will let you in on the highly guarded secret – it doesn’t matter.  :)  As you build you will make choices between gizmos and pizzazz and Nirvana-like speed. Then you will learn to fly your airplane. And all will be a rewarding part of the experience and likely better than in most other flying machines. For cruise, you level off at the altitude where you were promised the lowest headwinds, and lean and adjust the engine to your pride level or credit card limit. To be sure, you will do the required diligence while building, doing the weight and balance and such, and all other critical elements. But I bet that most of the things that are holding you back now will be different, and you will have a whole nother set of setbacks and challenges then, all designed to whittle you into a better man.
BTW, the Mustang and truck are well preserved, for having over 100K miles when i got them. And my wife has gotten everything she has wanted since i got the roadster before i had time to tell her about it...   :)
Oh. Can you imagine what it will be like when you do your first level off and pull the canard into that sweeping right turn for the first time? With the clouds skimming overhead. Or rush up from the deep green fields on that first wingover and break over into the crimson sunset ?
Sleep well tonight :)
Bill

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:29:36 PM by Bill James »

Offline Bill James

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
OK. OK.
>>How much piloting experience did you have before you flew your Variez?
 - Several layers and flavors to that answer, still to get to the same answer. I had lots of helo time in the Marines and cattle-herding, some very valuable training in the 1425 hp T-28, I had owned a taildragger and had variable time in a coupla dozen other types. Probably the most valuable and heartwarming flight experience i have ever had was flying C-172s during the ScrewWorm Eradication Program over the Rio Grande Valley dropping sterile flys over the super-infested ranch lands.   :)   :)   :)
Didn't matter. You still gotta do your homework for the Eze. The knowledge base needed to fly anyting smartly is relatively small, and you will be there as a licensed private pilot. One day in the hangar a guy came in and stalled around for a couple of minutes and then said he wanted to fly cross-country to New Mexico and asked me how do you do that.  He was Captain in a heavy and an F-15 jock. But he had never flown civilian. Same as a new private pilot. And whatever his experience, he still had to learn to fly his RV. I told him to go over to the office and talk to the new excited instructor and have some fun. That's what i had done years earlier after getting out of the Marines. Pretty much what you will do getting your license.
>>Was it easy to learn to fly?
  - Yes. On your first front seat hop, for takeoff put the elevator an inch or so TE low. On liftoff hold that paint can attitude i menioned earlier and gently let it fly itself to a thousand feet. Then gently get the feel for it, which should take 15 seconds. Just get away from the runway first.
>>What is the useful payload on it?
 - Look at the plans and POH for that. Your plane will be different from mine. <Sorry guys, i took out the GW references for a better look at them> Staying knowledgable about gross wieght and stall angles and such should keep you scared enough to be cautious on your load and on your toes during takeoff. There is lots of talk about payload and takeoff but one should always be poised in any a/c for the engine to quit on climbout.
>>Max Cruze speed?
Oh, that's an easy one, only a dozen or so answers. Lets say, er, 180? ...for the average VariEze? I dunno.
When flying my plane on the 1.5 hours to south Texas, speed is around 200 TAS and 6 GPH. Flying nonstop from Fort Worth to Reno was 175 mph from takeoff roll to shutdown after taxiing around there for 15 minutes; flying against the wind, 1400 sm in 8 hours at 3.8 gph.
A couple of years ago the trip to OSH was leaned to 2200 rpm at 180 TAS and used around 3 gph. Coming home was at peak at 2550 rpm, over 200 TAS and 6 gph.
It doesn't matter. My ground speed is very variable because i always have a headwind. Really. A few weeks go i had to be in San Antonio and took off into a 45 mph headwind. The next day i flew back into a 35 mph headwind. Imagine when that used to happen in my Cessna-120 taildragger, and it worked hard to hit 80 mph.
When the tornados came through a coupla weeks ago i gained 80 knots on downwind but totally lost any advantage gained on the base leg... (just kidding, but not much).
When not on trip to OSH or RR, or flying with buddies to the hundred dollar burrito, or such, i normally fly once a week or so, for 30 or 45 minutes, checking on the new highway to Cleburne, or what type of cars are at the race track a few miles south and if its worth going there, lofting a few wingovers, and gliding through a low pass and perfect approach to a feather soft landing. Normally.
What were those things you were asking about again???
Bill :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:06:21 AM by Bill James »

Offline AMC

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »
They must pay you by the word....
THat is some killer performance though you can really get that Variez moving. When you say 400lb payload, is that wet or dry? I weigh 220 lbs by myself.

You must pay for an annual, you have to get it certified. $100 Burrito, at 4 GPH hardley. You should convert it to run auto gas. What are you paying for hanger space?

I still want to find a good Long Ez or Variez and buy a used one. Save $$ and time into flying it. How is the payload the same for a Long Ez and VariEz?

Are you IFR rated?