Looking at possible veriez purchase in west virginia

Author Topic: Looking at possible veriez purchase in west virginia  (Read 1292 times)

Offline braemear

• View Profile
Looking at possible veriez purchase in west virginia
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »
I am looking for a pre buy inspection for a veriez in Morgantown West Virginia. The owner has sent me some pictures. Attached are a few of the wing hardware. The tail number is: N22GK if any are familiar with it. It was flying a few years ago, but currently is not. I am a new pilot and am open to any advice. More photos available on request. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline airdocs

• View Profile
Re: Looking at possible veriez purchase in west virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:05:24 AM »
I am not able to do a condition inspecton, but am also interested in getting a variez.  If you do not purchase, can you send me contact info for the varieze owner?

Offline Marc Zeitlin

• View Profile
    • COZY Builders Web Site
Re: Looking at possible veriez purchase in west virginia
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 06:44:20 AM »
I am looking for a pre buy inspection for a veriez in Morgantown West Virginia. The owner has sent me some pictures. Attached are a few of the wing hardware.
Are you familiar with the Varieze (sp) wing attach fitting corrosion issue? And the fact that the wing attach fittings are uninspectable without disassembly? And the RAF imposed "G" limitation on Variezes?

I am a new pilot and am open to any advice.
My advice to you, as someone who inspects 30 - 40 canard aircraft/year, is to look for a different airplane (not a Varieze) as an introductory ownership aircraft. I'd look for a Long-EZ, if you believe that a two seat tandem canard airplane fulfills your mission (and you should realize that you can not legally take instruction for any rating in a VE or LE unless they're one of the very few that have been outfitted with full dual controls) or a COZY, if you're going to want side-by-side seating and/or instruction capability (and way more baggage space).

VE's are great planes, when they're in perfect condition, lightweight, and are KNOWN to have no corrosion. Almost none fit all three criteria.

Now, all that said, I'm on the east coast for a few more weeks and will be heading west sometime around 8/26 or so - I might be able to arrange a stop for a day in WV. If you're still interested, see the link to Burnside Aerospace in my signature below for information on Pre-Buy/Condition Inspections and get back to me directly via email.